In a few days, Memorial Day will be upon us. Even though it has felt like summer for a few weeks here in Orlando, the Memorial Day weekend is the official start of summer. The three day Memorial Day weekend is a great time to spend some quality time with your pet, but there are a few precautions you need to take to avoid a possible unplanned trip to the emergency vet this weekend.
- Hydration: Be sure that you always have plenty of fresh water for your pet whether you are going to the beach, the pool or simply enjoying a park with your best friend. Dogs can get dehydrated very quickly in the warm weather in Florida and ponds, streams and lakes could contain parasites.
- Insect Repellent: As much as you want to protect your pet from insects, skip putting repellent on them. Insect repellent was made for humans, not your pets.
- Table Scraps: I know it i hard to resist giving your cute dog a scrap from the grill when cooking, but those scraps can cause an upset stomach
- Lakes and Pools: Don’t leave your pet unsupervised around lakes, ponds or pools. It goes without saying that we have plenty of alligators in our lakes and ponds, and they consider a canine to be a nice delicacy. Many folks swim with their dogs in pools, just make sure you are supervising them as you would a child. When you’re done in the pool, it is always best to rinse the chlorine out of their fur.
- Fire Works: Many pets are scared of fireworks so be sure that your pet is in a secure place. A thundershirt can help with their anxiety as well as turning on the TV or another sounds device to try to drown out the fireworks. DO NOT leave your dog in the backyard when fireworks are going off. If scared enough, they will be tempted to flee either over the fence, under the fence or through the fence. Also, be sure that all your pets have a collar with your name and phone number on it, even if they are microchipped. Remember, many vets will be closed this weekend so even if your dog is microchipped, it could be Tuesday before their is a vet available to scan your pet.
If you follow these simple rules, you and your best friend(s) will have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.